Partial and Complete Dentures in Lockport, IL
Replace your missing teeth and love your smile with dentures from Patrick Healy, DDS in Lockport, IL
Tooth loss is one of the most common dental issues in the US. Over 36 million Americans have suffered from missing teeth, with about 120 million missing at least one tooth.
This can happen for several reasons, including tooth decay and accidents. Until a few years ago, there was no solution to replace missing teeth. However, patients can now choose different solutions including dentures and dental implants.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are extremely popular among Americans. In fact, around 15% of people who are missing teeth have dentures made every year.
Dentures are an artificial set of teeth and gums. They’re created in a lab based on mouth impressions that are taken by the dentist. Dentures are removable and work just like natural teeth.
Dentures are typically made of a hard resin that helps you chew, bite, and regain your lost confidence. They are quite similar to dental bridges; however, they are not permanent and can be removed.
Dentures may be complete or partial. Dr. Patrick will help you choose the right option based on how many teeth you’re missing.
Benefits of Dentures
Dentures are easy to wear and can be removed when needed. This is obviously their biggest benefit, especially when compared to other restorative procedures, like dental implants.
Other benefits include:
- Easy to bite and chew;
- Replace missing and infected teeth;
- Restore the appearance of your face and give you a charming smile;
- Protect remaining teeth from damage;
- Easy to remove and clean;
- Look and function just like your natural teeth;
What is the Process to Get Dentures?
Dentures are easy to wear and cause little to no pain. The procedure typically only requires a few visits to the dentist.
Dr. Patrick will first examine your mouth carefully and determine if you’re a candidate for dentures. Our dentist will check your overall health and if you’re a good candidate will suggest full or partial dentures after taking an impression of your teeth.
Once your new teeth are ready, they will be placed inside your mouth by the dentist. However, since they are easy to use, you may remove and place them yourself as well.
A complete set of teeth is called a full denture. These may be suggested if you have no teeth or your remaining teeth are infected or very weak.
There are two types of complete dentures:
- Conventional Full Dentures: This is where all the teeth are removed. The gums are left to heal for 3-6 months before placing a complete set of dentures. You won’t have any teeth during the healing phase. This is the main drawback to getting conventional full dentures.
- Immediate Full Dentures: Your full dentures will be ready to wear right after all the remaining teeth are removed. However, you will have to visit the dentist for the dentures to be realigned every few weeks.
Partial dentures are perfect for when you have a good number of healthy teeth. The dentures rest on a metal framework attached to the remaining teeth in your mouth. In some cases, crowns may also be used as anchors.
What Are the Risks?
The process of setting up dentures can be complicated:
- There may be complications if the teeth are not properly extracted or if the gums are not fully allowed to heal.
- A denture that is not fitted properly can cause irritation and pain.
- Loosely fitted dentures can cause your gums to swell and even bleed.
- Poorly fitted dentures may cause infections.
- You may feel a bit of discomfort in the beginning but will get used to it within a month or two.
It is essential to choose a dentist you can trust when getting complete or partial dentures. Dr. Patrick Healy has been offering dentures in Lockport for years and has helped hundreds of people get a perfect set of teeth.
How Much Do Dentures Cost?
The cost depends on the type of dentures you receive, and the material used. Complete dentures are more expensive than partial dentures and can cost as high as $10,000. However, there are some affordable options available.
Our dentist will examine your oral health and provide you a quote before getting started.
Why Choose Us?
Patrick Healy, DDS has been offering dentures in Lockport, IL for years. We are affordable, reliable, and can make the process easy and comfortable.
Schedule your appointment today.